Sunday, January 16, 2022

Word for 2022: Abide

My word for 2022 is Abide



I'm taking it from the Bible verse in Isaiah 32:18 (ESV) "My people will abide in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places."



It is both a promise to me that God will continue to take care of me and give me peace, security, and rest, as well as a reminder to me that I need to abide in God's presence. This means I need to be mindfully present with God and make that time a daily practice.



My word for 2021 was Kindness ("She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue." Proverbs 31:26, ESV)

With grumpy customers, and antsy children at home there was ample opportunity to stretch and try to develop this quality. Having this word as a focus was a good reminder.

Words from previous years:

2020 - Joyful ("Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12, NIV)

2019 - Rest (The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” Exodus 33:14, NIV)

2018 - Grace (“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9, NIV)

2017 - Less ("He [Jesus] must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30, NIV)

2016 - Wholesome ("Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29, NIV)

In 2015 I contemplated Titus 2:3-5 (NIV) "Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, including the images. I like knowing about the word you're working on.

    ReplyDelete