Monday, December 27, 2021

2022 Reading Plan

Goal: read more 5 stars books


I rated 17 of 79 (22%) books I read in 2021 as 5 stars. I'd like to increase that to 25%... but how? Here's my strategy:

1. Read more titles from authors I previously rated 5 or 4 stars
2. Read titles recommended based on books I've rated 5 or 4 stars
3. Continue to abandon books that are going to end up being rated 3 stars or less

Authors I rated highly (not including Children's books)
  1. Brené Brown
  2. Emmanuel Acho
  3. Greg McKeown
  4. Kristin Hannah
  5. Lisa Scottoline
  6. Michael Floyd
  7. Philip Houston
  8. Rebecca Eanes 
  9. Richard Sheridan
  10. Ryan Hawk
  11. Susan Carnicero
  12. Tiffany Shlain

Recommended Titles
Using Goodreads' "Readers Also Enjoyed" feature

Non-Fiction
  1. A Place For Everything: The Curious History of Alphabetical Order, by Judith Flanders
  2. Dog Flowers: A Memoir, by Danielle Geller
  3. Flipnosis: The Art of Split-Second Persuasion, by Kevin Dutton
  4. Getting to Know YOU: Embrace Your Unique Blueprint to Make Decisions you Love and Trust - A Human Design Guidebook, by Karen Flaherty
  5. Gratitude Daily: 21 Days to More Joy and Less Stress, by Nataly Kogan
  6. How to Lead When You're Not in Charge: Leveraging Influence When You Lack Authority, by Clay Scroggins
  7. How to Raise Kind Kids: And Get Respect, Gratitude, and a Happier Family in the Bargain, by Thomas Lickona
  8. How to Spot a Liar: A Practical Guide to Speed Read People, Decipher Body Language, Detect Deception, and Get to The Truth, by James W. Williams
  9. How to Stop Losing Your Sh*t with Your Kids: A Practical Guide to Becoming a Calmer, Happier Parent, by Carla Naumburg
  10. The Science of Kissing: What Our Lips Are Telling Us, by Sheril Kirshenbaum
  11. What Happened To You?: Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing, by Bruce D. Perry
  12. You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life, by Jen Sincero


Fiction
  1. Before She Knew Him, by Peter Swanson
  2. Color Me In, by Natasha Diaz
  3. Invisible Girl, by Lisa Jewell
  4. Klara and the Sun, by Kazuo Ishiguro
  5. The Daughters of Erietown, by Connie Schultz
  6. The End of Her, by Shari Lapena
  7. The Girl from Widow Hills, by Megan Miranda
  8. The Liar's Wife, by Samantha Hayes
  9. The Marriage of Opposites, by Alice Hoffman
  10. The Plot, by Jean Hanff Korelitz
  11. The Rib King, by Ladee Hubbard
  12. The Wives, by Tarryn Fisher
  13. Transcendent Kingdom, by Yaa Gyasi


What's your strategy for reading more "5 stars" books?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your list and your strategy. How people read is so interesting to me.

    I do stop reading books that don't click for me. There's far too much I want to read to devote time to books that aren't a good fit. And sometimes, just getting a feel for a book is enough.

    But I don't have a rating system. Or I do but it's very monolithic: yes or no. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too enjoy hearing about how people decide what to read. The rating system is because I keep track of my reading in Goodreads. I like the simplicity of your yes/no rating.

    ReplyDelete