Monday, May 18, 2020

How we are handling COVID-19 two months later

The week leading into March Break I shared my plan of how we were going to handle COVID-19 changes in our home.

Now two months later, here's a update.

3CX PBX Update 1 available today - new features, fixes and more

Work
Wednesday, March 18 was my last day in my library building. We were sent home to work and part-timers were laid off on April 16.

I work full-time at home, 7 hours a day in front of my computer. In addition to continue to supervise my remaining full-time staff, I'm leading the Online Reference Team, book reviews, working on staff appraisals, reports, professional development, etc.

Husband continues to work outside the home as his business is essential. He wears a mask. When my husband isn't home my kids are left to fend for themselves. 

School
The older kids sleep in until noon, the younger ones play together and make crafts or read. School is 12:30-3 for Grade 10, 1-3 for Grade 8, 2-3 for Grades 5 and 3. I emailed the teachers and told them I couldn't do more than what the Ministry of Education mandates. In addition to their online learning, 3 of them have Google Hangouts with their teachers once or twice a week. 

Piano lessons take place via Zoom once a week and I'm impressed with their teacher and their ability to adapt to this format.

Family
We are still doing pretty well limiting the kids' recreational screen time to 2 hours a day, however the evenings include watching TV for a couple of hours. I just don't have the energy for any more togetherness.

Once a week my siblings, parents, and any nieces and nephews who want to join get together on Zoom to catch up. This is something I hope we can continue past the pandemic.

Church
We attend weekly by viewing the service online. We attend a weekly small group via Zoom and the two older boys attend their respective youth programs weekly via Zoom.

Celebrations
We have celebrated Easter, Passover, Mother's Day, two friends' birthdays all virtually.

Boredom
I read (in this order):
The Death of Mrs. Westaway, by Ruth Ware
Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids, by Kim John Payne
Stretched Too Thin: How Working Moms Can Lose the Guilt, Work Smarter, and Thrive, by Jessica Turner
Lightly: How to Live a Simple, Serene, and Stress-free Life, by Francine Jay
The One, by John Marrs
Such a Fun Age, by Kiley Reid
American Dirt, by Jeanine Cummins
The Testing trilogy (The Testing, Independent Study, and Graduation Day) by Joelle Charbonneau

I subscribed to CRAVE and binge watched The Good DoctorThe Handmaid's Tale, and have started Orphan Black.

How about you? How have you adapted during this time?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this update! I enjoyed it. I'm glad you're giving yourself permission to let the kids have more TV time. We're in extraordinary times, we need to make allowances.

    I'm guessing most of what I watch would be too dark and/or violent for you, but I can recommend The Good Wife and Suits as viewing you might enjoy. Both take a few episodes to settle in. Those are Netflix.

    On Crave, Treme is great, also The Night Of. Other shows that I loved but won't recommend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out.

    ReplyDelete