Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Word for 2019

For the past few years I've been asking God to give me a word, and a Bible verse it's in, for the upcoming year. 

In 2015 I contemplated Titus 2:3-5 (NIV)
"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."


My 2016 word was Wholesome, with the Bible verse being "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29 (NIV)


My 2017 word was Less, with the Bible verse being "He [Jesus] must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30 (NIV)

My 2018 word was Grace, and my verse was: But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV)

It turned out I needed a large dose of God's grace to get through 2018. As I dedicated myself to full-time parenting, I also learned more about what it means for my oldest to be on the Autism Spectrum. It was frustrating to know what kind of supports he needed and yet have no funding to put any of them in place. I took my skills from my 8 years as a fundraiser and put them to work. I contacted local service organizations, hat in hand, and asked them to pay for tutoring, ABA therapy, and social skills sessions. God was gracious and provided what we needed!

2018 brought the greatest loss of my life - my grandmother, Nanny, passed away in March at age 96. Our relationship was sweet and treasured. I loved her so deeply and the pain of mourning her was all encompassing and physical. In April I learned my children's pastor would be moving across the country. Another loss followed in July when my uncle passed away. God's grace had to be sufficient for me in my gaping weakness.

My sabbatical leave started on Saturday, August 11, 2018. That means I'm due back to work a year from then. I had to put in the request for this time back in 2013. God was gracious in planning ahead, knowing that my oldest would need extra help in his transition to high school.

Indeed I saw God's grace and power in my life in 2018. When I was weak, it was Christ's power that raised me up so I could keep going.

My word for 2019 is "rest" and the Bible verse I have chosen is: The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” Exodus 33:14 (NIV)

2019 will continue to stretch me as in my parenting, my marriage, and my career. I believe God is calling me not only to trust him in the days and months ahead of me this year, but also to be at peace and to truly rest in His presence.




What about you? Do you choose a word or theme to focus on for the year? 
What is your word for 2019?

No comments:

Post a Comment