Sunday, October 30, 2011

Review: To Timbuktu for a Haircut: A Journey through West Africa

To Timbuktu for a Haircut: A Journey through West Africa To Timbuktu for a Haircut: A Journey through West Africa by Rick Antonson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was intrigued by the book's title and the cover shot of a man standing in the desert, with Arabic script overlayed. The story is the author's retelling of his journey to reach the fabled Timbuktu. It includes a great deal of detail as to the history of this mysterious city, with particular attention given to the plight of the endangered Timbuktu manuscripts. I confess to skimming over some of these historical descriptions as I was more interested in following the present day narrative of the journey.

I recommend this book for those who enjoy travel adventures with a good dose of history thrown in. As for the haircut... you'll have to read the book to find out!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment