Saturday, January 31, 2015

101 in 1001: Monthly dates with kids

As my family grew from one child to two, then three, then - within 15 months - four, I wondered how I could ever spend enough one-on-one time with each of my children. During the years I was homeschooling them I felt that they certainly had enough quantity time, if perhaps not always quality time. 

Now that they're out at public school and I'm working full-time, the quality and the quantity of the time are important.

I'm enjoying monthly dates with my kids. I'm usually off 2 Saturdays a month and I take them each out for about an hour. We go to Ikea, Tim Horton's, the Library, or even just to run an errand. They love the one-on-one time and that I buy them a little treat. I'm so happy to be doing this. I used to think I had "so many things" to do, but now I realize I don't have anything more important to do than to develop these relationships.

This article from Parents magazine, based on a great book (No Regrets Parenting: Turning Long Days and Short Years Into Cherished Moments With Your Kids, by Dr. Harley Rotbart), has some good ideas on how to spend more quality time with your child. And Club 31 Women has some thoughts on looking after our sons' and daughters' hearts.

What about you? How do you spend time with your children?

No comments:

Post a Comment