Monday, January 6, 2014

My 2014 Reading List

As a librarian, I’m obligated to read certain books in order to keep on top of trends and be able to advise customers. According to my Goodreads account, in 2013 I read 33 books (10267 pages), which would be about 2.75 books per month. That seems low to me as I thought I had read more.





In 2014 I’ll plan to round that up to 3 books a month, for a total of 36 books. I've outlined my reading list below and you can also follow me at https://www.goodreads.com/Kristina_MLS




Plan to Read
1 on Marriage


1 on caring for older parents

Job Related Reading
Book Club 8
February Before I go to sleep, by S. J. Watson
March Flight behavior, by Barbara Kingsolver
April The red tent, by Anita Diamant
May Through black spruce, by Joseph Boyden

Award Winners 3
Scotiabank Giller prize nominee/winner = Through black spruce, by Joseph Boyden
Canada Reads nominee/winner
Keep Toronto Reading selection


Forest of Reading
More info here


Blue Spruce (K-2) 4
I Dare You Not To Yawn, by Helene Boudreau, Serge Bloch


If You Hold A Seed, by Elly MacKay


Oddrey, by Dave Whamond


This Is Not My Hat, by Jon Klassen


Silver Birch (Gr 3-6) 3
Express (Gr 3-4)
Cryptic Canada: Unsolved Mysteries From Coast To Coast, by Natalie Hyde, Matt Hammill


Jason’s Why, by Beth Goobie


When I Get Older: The Story Behind “Wavin’ Flag”, by K’Naan with Sol Guy, Rudy Gutierrez


FICTION (Gr 5-6) 2
Record Breaker, by Robin Stevenson


Ultra, by David Carroll


NON-FICTION (Gr 5-6) 4
Off to Class: Incredible and Unusual Schools Around the World by Susan Hughes


Our Rights: How Kids Are Changing the World, by Janet Wilson


The World In Your Lunch Box: The Wacky History and Weird Science of Everyday Foods by Claire Eamer, Sa Boothroyd


Warriors and Wailers: One Hundred Ancient Chinese Jobs You Might Have Relished or Reviled, by Sarah Tsiang, Martha Newbigging

Red Maple (Gr 7-8) 1
Between Heaven and Earth, by Eric Walters


White Pine (YA) 2
FICTION
Live To Tell, by Lisa Harrington


My Book of Life By Angel, by Martine Leavitt


NON-FICTION 1
The Secret of the Blue Trunk, by Lise Dion, Liedewij Hawke


Evergreen (Adult) 4
Indian Horse, by Richard Wagamese


Tell It to the Trees, by Anita Rau Badami


The Winter Palace: a Novel of Catherine the Great, by Eva Stachniak

Triggers, by Robert J. Sawyer


Golden Oak (new Adult readers) 2
Emily Included, by Kathleen McDonnell


My Name is Parvana, by Deborah Ellis

1 comment:

  1. I think you'll like People of the Book. It was the first I read of Brooks a couple of years ago, and it was quite good. I found it a fascinating read, and it kept me turning the pages. Considering I was doing the MISt at the time, that's saying something!

    ReplyDelete