Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Book review: “The Happiness Project” (Rubin)

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More FunThe Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun” by Gretchen Rubin – July 2011

I borrowed this book from the public library and read most of it in the 3 week loan period.  I had to return it at that point as it was on hold and could not be renewed so I skipped the last few chapters.

I enjoyed the way Ms Rubin was able to take what could be a somewhat abstract and subjective topic – happiness – and find a way to quantify it through research.

I felt that some of her projects were unrealistic for someone like me – a mom with 4 children and limited time and money.  One of her chapters does discuss whether money can buy happiness though :-)  It was sometimes problematic to me because I felt for example that collecting items was a waste of money, time, space, energy, etc.  I am really not into things like that that have no eternal value…  One of the most practical discoveries I made was that in order to get the happy feelings from a hug, the hug needed to last at least 6 seconds.  So my husband and I have put that into practice – surely we can spare 6 seconds a day for each other :-)

I would recommend this book to virtually anyone who is curious about increasing happiness in their lives, however I do think it is skewed towards married couples with children as that is where she’s coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment